Natural Cycle IVF
What is Natural Cycle IVF?
In traditional IVF, oral and injectable medications are used for ovulation induction. Oral drugs, like Clomid, or injectable gonadotropins (FSH) stimulate the development of multiple follicles and eggs to increase the chances of conception. The medications are given in coordination with the menstrual cycle, and some patients are given both the oral and injectable drugs.
Natural IVF is a form of in vitro fertilization that uses no – or a significantly smaller dose of – fertility drugs. Blood tests and ultrasound are used to track egg development and ovulation. At the appropriate time, egg retrieval is performed. Natural IVF will likely yield one to three eggs. These eggs are then fertilized similar to standard IVF.
Natural Cycle IVF Advantages
- Eliminates the use of fertility medications and any possible side effects
- Less costly than traditional IVF
- Can be immediately repeated, month after month, with no delays between cycles
- Avoids the risk of multiple pregnancies
- May be effective for couples with male factor infertility
Natural Cycle IVF Disadvantages
- Lower success rate than that of standard IVF
- Must accurately track monthly ovulation
- Irregular monthly cycles may mean multiple egg retrieval attempts are needed
- Still requires an egg retrieval procedure
Patients considering natural cycle IVF should discuss the pros and cons of the procedure with a reproductive endocrinologist at a fertility clinic. DFW Fertility Associates provide multiple IVF options for couples in Southlake, Keller, Grapevine, Colleyville, Denton and other Dallas and Tarrant county areas.