When Should You See A Doctor About Infertility?
Usually a couple should attempt to conceive for 12 months, while having intercourse on their most fertile days, before seeing a fertility specialist. However, if the woman is older than 35 years old, then a fertility consult should occur after six months. And if a woman has an irregular menstrual cycle, or suspected infertility, the couple should see a fertility specialist immediately.
Are There Fertility Options to Try Before Seeking Help?
Women should keep track of menstrual and ovulation cycles so that they can predict the time of ovulation (which are the fertile days) and try to have intercourse every other day during the most fertile time. Ovulation predictor kits are available at most pharmacies, which may also aid in determining when you are ovulating.
When Should I See a Fertility Specialist?
Scheduling an appointment with a fertility specialist can be made at anytime. A fertility specialist can help give instructions on how to maximize your chances of getting pregnant naturally or initiate a fertility evaluation that includes blood work, ultrasounds, hysterosalpingography (HSG) and a semen analysis. As a general rule, it is better to see a fertility specialist sooner, rather than delaying which could result in decreased fertility.
How is Infertility Determined?
At the first consultation with a fertility specialist or reproductive endocrinologist the following things should happen:
- A complete medical history of the couple will be taken. Bring past medical records with you
- Information about recent menstrual cycles
- The male will likely schedule a semen analysis to assess the number, shape and motility of the sperm
- The female will likely need a ultrasound and blood work for fertility hormones
- The fallopian tubes will be examined by a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) also referred to as “the tubal dye test”
The reproductive endocrinologists at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates are experts in fertility evaluation and treatments. Our physicians care for patients in Southlake, Keller, Grapevine, Colleyville, Denton and their surrounding areas.